Fees and Administrative Charges, Postponement Fees, and Privacy
Guidelines for Pro Se (Self-represented) Litigants regarding Mediation Scheduling
The process of scheduling a mediation requires some level of agreement from the beginning. The steps include:
- Checking our calendar for dates available for the mediation conference prior to the mediation deadline in your trial order
- Coordinating dates with your opposing party or spouse to ensure their availability and/or requesting input relative to most convenient start time and location for the settlement conference
- Use our online scheduling component to set up your mediation as agreed upon between the parties to your lawsuit
Knight Mediation requests that you honor these requests in coordinating your mediation scheduling conference. Please take a moment to read through the other information on this page so that you understand about scheduling and postponement fees involved with mediation. Also on this page (and our FAQ page) you will find helpful information from the NC Dispute Resolution Commission about Mediation Settlement Conferences. This information has proven helpful in giving you a clear idea of what mediation entails.
- Link to Mediation Rules
- Link to NC Courts Website
- Link to the NC Dispute Resolution Commission’s pamphlet on Mediated Settlement Conferences in Equitable Distribution and other Family Financial Cases
- Link to the NC Dispute Resolution Commission’s pamphlet on Mediated Settlement Conferences in Superior Court Civil Actions
Statutory Mediation fees are $150 per hour. An administrative fee for scheduling is set at $150. These fees are due at the close of the mediation conference.
A postponement fee of $150 may be charged to the party postponing a scheduled mediation. If postponement takes place within seven (7) days of the scheduled mediation, the fee for postponement is $300. We will provide reminders of these dates as they approach.
Rebecca Knight provides mediation services at locations most convenient for counsel, generally in lawyers offices. Mediations can take place at any location agreed upon by counsel. Rebecca Knight will appear at that location at the time scheduled for the mediation.
Rebecca Knight will work with parties who do not have attorneys to select a safe, neutral location to meet for their mediation session.
In accordance with mediation privacy policies, no information collected on this website will be accessible by anyone other than (a) the party scheduling the mediation and then only by way of unique username and password created by the user, and (b) Rebecca Knight and/or her staff.